You can help Tails! The beta version for the VeraCrypt support in Tails is ready for testing.
We are very excited.
What’s new in the Beta?
We worked to integrate VeraCrypt support into the existing GNOME workflow
for unlocking encrypted volumes. As a result, most of the features already
provided for LUKS volumes are now also provided for VeraCrypt volumes.
This includes unlocking volumes via the GNOME Disks
application and integration into the places sidebar in
GNOME Files. If your file
containers have the “.hc” file extension, they will be recognized as
VeraCrypt volumes and can be easily unlocked in GNOME Files.
Additionally, we created a small application,
VeraCrypt Mounter, which makes it easier to unlock VeraCrypt volumes,
especially file containers that do not have the “.hc” extension.
How to test the Beta?
Download and install the ISO image on a USB stick or DVD, start it and
try to unlock your existing VeraCrypt volumes.
We are interested in your feedback on bugs and usability of this feature.
- Are there any steps that are not clear?
- Did you run into technical issues?
Please send feedback emails to email@example.com.
Get the Beta
There is no signature available for this test ISO image.
We’ve identified a list of known issues #14480 among which
- Trying to unlock via the places sidebar using an incorrect password or keyfile results in a not very helpful error message #15663
- Unlocking via the places sidebar doesn’t provide any feedback #15664
- No integration in the places sidebar of the file chooser dialog of some applications (including Tor Browser) #15667